HAL not detecting my HID input devices?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Apr 20 05:36:50 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Dirk <noisyb at gmx.net> wrote:
> what remains is the fact that someone said what many think but don't care to
> articulate because, usually, nobody cares to give feedback about things that
> suck...

Sure, we could just:

1. drop HAL altogether as it's clearly useless
2. teach each application to enumerate kernel devices and search for
particular patterns of attributes (say a webcam)
3. learn that it takes a lot of time each time you need to use the device
4. create a cache that lets you query a list of all detected hardware
without re-probing every piece od hardware
5. turn it into a system daemon in order to limit used resources and
avoid code duplication
6. let useraspace annotate the cache with useful information about
devices (X drivers to use, needed workarounds)
7. call it HAL
8. rinse and repeat

Nitpickers corner: in step 7 you can pick a different name, like
"udev-extras". EOT from me, not to feed "the ones giving feedback" ;)

Cheers,

--
Patryk Zawadzki