Duplicate UDIs for a single device

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Apr 22 14:55:26 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 22:34, Drew Moseley <dmoseley at mvista.com> wrote:
> I'm tracking an issue in version 0.5.11.  Occasionally I see two UDIs
> entered for my wlan device:
>
> # hal-find-by-capability --capability net.80211
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_13_e0_cc_c9_02_0
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_13_e0_cc_c9_02
>
> This appears to occur due to a race condition between the coldplug_synthesize_events()
> loop and hotplug events coming in from udev.  In the failure scenario, I am seeing
> a hotplug event for the device-add being processed before the coldplug loop has completed.
>
> I see several patches in the code that appear to address multiple devices and proper
> sequencing but none seem to fix my particular failure.
>
> Any idea how to fix this?  Should the hotplug events be processed before the
> coldplug_synthesize_events loop is complete?

I guess, HAL should be fixed not to add two devices with the same
devpath, The path is unique, and HAL should reflect that. I thought
there is code in there to do that, but it's likely broken by some
change. If you run "udevadm trigger" you see many duplicated devices,
that should just not happen at all in HAL.

Kay