Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?

Corentin Chary corentin.chary at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 00:20:00 PDT 2009

>> see:
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/commit/?id=c900d0e5012b1dd0e0fa6e20fd0d92a59b3de093

It's not my hardware either, but I can try to create a fake
kbd_keyboard led to test that.

> Don't you also need to set "keyboard_backlight.num_levels"?  According
> to Documentation/leds-class.txt, valid led values are 0-255, so I
> expect num_levels should be set to 256.

Valid led values are between 0 and max_brightness (like for backlight I think).
I think the led addon should set keyboard_backlight.num_levels to
max_brightness (+1 ?).

> Yuck... I think the backlight interface is better in that it exports
> the available granularity.  But I guess all one really wants is "on"
> and "off", with finer adjustment being either automatic (light sensor)
> or buried as a config option.

On the Asus U50 there is 3 levels (+ off), and keys to change the brightness.
And the user want to use all the backlight levels with the Fn+F3/F4 keys.

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net - http://uffs.org