Revert "10-usb-music-players.fdi: Flatten product id tests"

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 23 23:12:29 PDT 2009

Hello Danny, hello Christophe,

(keeping fullquote for the list)

Christophe Fergeau [2009-08-11 14:06 +0200]:
> Hi Danny,
>
> I'm writing you about the revert you did some days ago in hal-info for
> the "Flatten product id tests" commit [1]. We are currently trying to
> move away from HAL, and this commit makes it much easier to convert
> the media player HAL rules to mpi files (media player information
> files) and to keep both set of rules in sync.
> 3kB more data don't strike me as something that would have such an
> impact on HAL performance or disk usage, especially given the current
> size of the file and given that most distros will probably stop
> shipping hal-info (at least this file) soon.
>
> Would you consider reverting this revert?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Christophe
>
> [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal-info/commit/?id=8a8d78461c45456d89bbb39e47e5d6e366e79486

So this doesnt' seem to be unanimous. I originally changed that to
simplify the structure of the hal-info files to make them translatable
to *.mpi files automatically (which becomes an unnecessarily hard
problem with the nesting reintroduced with that revert).

Since hal will probably stay around for a while (Solaris, BSD), I
think we should strive for keeping the music player data convertible
automatically. Right now I already have to make the keyboard quirks
changes twice (once in hal-info, once in udev).

Danny, when would you be content with reintroducing the flat
structure? When banshee is using *.mpi files as well? Rhythmbox
already switched over to gudev in 0.12.4.

Thanks,

Martin