hal, rfkill and compat-wireless (Re: [RFC/RFT] rtl8187: Implement rfkill support)

Hin-Tak Leung hintak.leung at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 17:16:06 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez<mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:
> Johannes, did kernels < 2.6.31 have /sys/class/rfkill ?

2.6.30 has /sys/class/rfkill (it is exposed by the vendor as-shipped
rfkill.ko). But I just tried something like this, and it seems to work
- the patch is simple enough and just 3 hunks - what it does:
1) 'make unload' should unload rfkill also,
2) remove the compat-wireless class renaming hunk (so it advertise
itself as 'rfkill' rather than 'rfkill_backport')
3) remove the compat-wireless input hander renaming hunk.

I am not sure what the input handle->name (3) is for, somebody care to
explain? Is there any reason why I should do something like outlined
here in the patch?

Hin-Tak