hal-info 20090202 released

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 3 01:49:52 PST 2009

Richard Hughes [2009-02-02 17:35 +0000]:
> Updating hal-info in a stable distro is safe -- I think it's only very
> old HAL's we're no longer supporting. I'm updating F10 with hal-info as
> I type.

That's what I have done so far for Ubuntu stables as well. However, I
recently encountered a few regressions. Updated suspend quirks broke
suspend on some models (fixed in latest hal-info release), and
enabling some hotkeys on new computers uncovered some bugs.

For example, the latest hal-info release (compared to the previous
from November 2008) enables hotkeys on the Samsung NC10. However, on
that platform the hotkeys act like if you'd press them eternally until
you switch VTs, thus e. g. cranking the brightness all the way up or
down, or making gnome-panel hang completely when pressing the battery
hotkey.

So from now on I will probably move to a scheme where I'll just
backport the latest music players and modems, but not hotkeys and
suspend quirks any more.

Martin