Your request / output of lshal and getfacl /dev/sg2

Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Tue Jan 6 08:52:11 PST 2009

Hi folks,
one last question. As of now hal allows access to anything on the SCSI bus
that announces itself to be a "scanner". However I know that there are
devices around being scanners but announcing themselves as
being "processors". For now, I did something like that:

*******
    <!-- SCSI-SUBSYSTEM -->
    <match key="info.category" string="scsi_generic">
      <!-- Generic SCSI Scanner device -->
      <match key="@info.parent:scsi.type" string="scanner">
        <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">scanner</append>
      </match>
      <!-- Hewlett-Packard SCSI Scanner+Faxdevice -->
      <match key="@info.parent:scsi.model" string="C7670A">
        <match key="@info.parent:scsi.type" string="processor">
          <match key="@info.parent:scsi.vendor" string="HP">
            <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">scanner</append>
          </match>
        </match>
      </match>
    </match>
    <!-- USB-SUBSYSTEM -->
    <match key="info.subsystem" string="usb">
********
the "simpler" way would be to treat anything that announces itself
as "processor" (@info.parent:scsi.type) as scanner, too.
However this might open up access to devices not being scanners to regular
users, and, what is even worse, those devices would be assigned hal
attributes that belong to scanners, only.

Any inputs highly appreciated,
thank you in advance,
take care

Dieter

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)