Policy concerning keycodes > 255

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Jan 14 18:07:40 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:54:21PM +0100, Sébastien Mazy wrote:

> My question is as follows: What is the HAL commit policy concerning
> these unsupported keycodes? or, said differently: would fdi patches (not
> generic, per specific hardware) to remap these unsupported keycodes be
> accepted or will the situation stay as it is until Xorg is fixed? (and
> so, broken for many users)

The problem with that approach is that there isn't necessarily anything
in the lower range that's appropriate for the keys in question.

> For instance, my thinkpad keyboard sends KEY_VENDOR and my remote
> control KEY_CHANNELUP. This could be remapped respectively to
> KEY_COMPUTER and KEY_UP.

Yes, but they'd be wrong. Non-X based consumers of the events (which may
even include hal) would then be getting a different keycode. It'd be
nice if the effort went into helping with the X work instead.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org