fdi file for Nokia N79

Juha Pahkala jpahka at welho.com
Fri Jan 16 06:19:31 PST 2009

Hello,

I've got a new phone, a Nokia N79, and I'd like to make it somehow usable
with linux. More particularly, I'd like to sync my music with it using
Banshee, and I'd like to be able to use it as a modem. Right now, when I
plug it to my Ubuntu 8.04 computer via the provided USB cord, the phone
offers 4 possible ways to connect to the computer. The names of the modes
are something like:

Nokia PC Suite
Mass Storage Device
Transfer Images
Transfer Media Files

I don't know which of these modes I need to pick, but I suspect either the
Nokia PC Suite or the Mass Storage Device.

As I understand it, to be able to use the phone as I descibed, I need to
make hal recognize the phone. I got this idea from here:

http://www.excentral.org/archives/2008/12/11/nokia-hal-banshee-music-goodness

Now, I'm wondering if I could edit the fdi file found from that blog entry
( http://www.excentral.org/confs/10-E71-extras.fdi ) and magically make my
ubuntu work with the phone. I'm thinking I at least need to change the:

<match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0xab">

and

<match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.product_id" int="0x00aa">

lines to match the Nokia N79 phone. Can anybody tell me where I can find
the correct keys matching my phone?

Thanks in advance,

Juhis

believed to be clean.