HAL, FUSE, and serial port GPSs

Tom Payne twpayne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:16:53 PST 2009

Hi Christian,

2009/1/17 C. Mueller <christian.mueller.konstanz at gmail.com>:
> first thing, the detection with communication activly is not really nice -
> any idea ?

I agree. Unfortunately in my case the manufacturer decided to build
the USB-to-serial converter in to the device and there is no way to
detect the GPS without communicating. It's not the way I would have
done it, but I have to live with it. I'm just trying to create a nice
interface to the device for Linux users.

> i want to write a daemon for kde, where you can configure the behaviour
> after the device is inserted , and emit signal to the other running
> applications (like routing/globes or location aware social program's)

Have you considered gpsd?
  http://gpsd.berlios.de/