Mounts with fstab entries should succeed if mount points are identical

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Tue Jul 14 05:33:21 PDT 2009

Frank Steiner wrote:
> after switching from SuSE Linux Enterprise 10 (hal 0.5.6) to 11 (hal 0.5.12)
> we see that halmount (from ivman) refuses to mount entries for which a
> fstab entry exists. I guess due to patches like Ludwigs in
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal-commit/2006-February/002171.html
>
> However, in 0.5.6 the behaviour was more clever: hal (or only halmounty?)
> refused to mount a device on a mount point *different* from the one listed
> in fstab.

Looks like SLES10 has a patch that implements that logic:

Fri May 19 16:18:29 CEST 2006 - dkukawka at suse.de
- added patches:
  - hal-fix-mount_device_fstab_with_user_option_172870.diff: fix
    for bug #172870 to allow mount partitions which are in fstab
    with option user

The patch probably was never included upstream. Meanwhile the mount
helper was rewritten in C without that feature.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel