Backlight on Asus X56V

Reinout van Schouwen reinouts at gnome.org
Tue Jul 28 00:07:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am the proud owner of an Asus X56V laptop and I'd like to report that
the brightness applet does not work, and neither do the brightness Fn
keys (it looks like they aren't registered by xev). The laptop does have
some auto-adjust functionality for the brightness based on environmental
light, but that is more annoying than useful especially when I can't
override it.

I read this page:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-backlight-index.html

Here's the output of lshal:
$ lshal | grep laptop_panel
  info.capabilities = {'laptop_panel'} (string list)
  info.category = 'laptop_panel'  (string)
  laptop_panel.access_method = 'general'  (string)
  laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware = true  (bool)
  laptop_panel.num_levels = 16  (0x10)  (int)

If there's any more info I can give, please let me know.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen