hal-info: Branch 'master'

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Mar 2 03:30:20 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 09:57, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 03:32 -0800, Danny Kukawka wrote:
>>     Fixed brightness_in_hardware for ThinkPads. The sysfs_path has
>>     changed on newer kernel version
>> from /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen
>>     to /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/thinkpad_screen. Match now
>>     for the suffix /backlight/thinkpad_screen to work with all kernel
>>     versions.
>
> I didn't know this. This is going to break bigger things than HAL.

I wouldn't expect it, the kernel change (CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED) was
done like 2 years ago on reasonable systems.

And regarding such matches, nothing must ever use a full devpath in
any match. The parents of devices can change at any time, even during
runtime. The devpath of a device is not stable at all, and never will
be.

In this case, matching only on the <class-glue-directory>/<device
name> might be a working hack, but the only proper match would be to
check the device name and the device's subsystem, everything else is
never guaranteed to work across kernel versions.

Thanks,
Kay