Duplicated i8042 devices in lshal

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Wed Mar 18 10:50:52 PDT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:40:43 +0100
Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:

> On Samstag, 7. Februar 2009, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > hal-0.5.12-0.rc1.2mdv2009.1
> >
> > I noticed that I have two keyboards in lshal output. Walking
> > backward it tracks down to:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Both are absolutely identical; how comes HAL enters the same device
> > twice under different UDI?
> >
> > It is not the fist time I noticed it. I already reported duplicated
> > batteries. It does not happen every time; unfortunately I do not
> > know what triggers it.
>
> Please check if this commit/patch fixes the problem for you:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/commit/?id=999818f10b45cf516dc7e828d2f7e2cbe615cae3

Thanks for the fix, Danny.

For what it's worth, I think I know what triggers it too (or at least,
this is how I've reproduced it):  if you run "udevadm trigger" it
generates new events for every device on the system.  The
xfce4-power-manager dev worked around it in his code, but it will be
nice to not have to do that any more.

Any word on 0.5.12? :-)

-RW