Order in which the fdi files are read

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 06:50:53 PDT 2009

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the order in which the fdi files are read ?

I ask this, because in recent Fedora rawhide builds, there's a file
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-olpc.fdi, which
does not work if the following lines are present:

      <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.vendor"
string="OLPC">
        <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.product"
string="C2">

lshal seems to indicate that the matching should work - and the only
possible explanation for the matching not working seems that possibly
system.hardware.vendor and system.hardware.product are being merged
_after_ 30-keymap-olpc.fdi is processed. The fdi file which takes care
of merging the two keys is at
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/05-olpc-detect.fdi

Does the explanation above make sense ? If so, what should be the
workaround? Note that this is not the upstream version of HAL, but the
Fedora variants.

Thanks in advance,
Sayamindu

--