Migrating suspend quirks away from hal

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 25 04:10:00 PST 2009

Hello Victor,

sorry for the late response; conference and all that..

Victor Lowther [2009-11-15 21:59 -0600]:
> And now, a version that actaully works.  With a bit of glue code, this
> can replace auto quirk and smart kernel driver handling in pm-utils.

I just tried your script, but AFAIK it just figures out the quirks
that are necessary on the _current_ system by parsing the .fdi
directly, right?

What I actually had in mind was that we should do a static conversion
to produce a simple-to-parse text file map which can then be put into,
and maintained within (well, it's not going to change often any more),
pm-utils itself, so that we can get rid of hal/hal-info completely.

Would you want to change your script accordingly, or want me to work
on such a static conversion script?

I thought about having one file per vendor, such as

  /usr/share/pm-utils/video-quirks/ibm

and each file would have a list of (dmi property:value)* → quirks map like

  product_name:.*X31;bios-version:INET17WW	s3_bios s3_mode

which can then be matched against /sys/class/dmi/id/* with grep.

Martin