Inconsistent storage.bus and storage.originating_device info

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Sun Sep 20 08:56:47 PDT 2009

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 15:51 +0100, Baz Walter wrote:
>> hello
>>
>> i'm writing a small application for portable audio players which needs
>> to get the vendor_id and some properties from the portable_audio_player
>> namespace. at the moment, i use dbus to search for all devices with
>> storage.bus == usb, and then use the storage.originating_device to check
>> the vendor_id.
>
> You want '.subsystem', not .bus.  .bus has been deprecated for quite a
> long time.
>
> What HAL version are you using?

hal version is 0.5.12

you mean info.subsystem?

i want to find ums devices that are audio players, which means searching
for storage.bus == usb, doesn't it? if i look at the Mass Storage Drive
entry in gnome-device-manager for my Samsung YP-P3, there is no entry
for info.subsystem.

but in any case, this doesn't deal with the problem i am facing.
hal-info doesn't consistently show the same originating_device every
time i plug the device in.