[HarfBuzz] Unified Text Layout Engine?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Feb 1 10:33:02 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 12:36 -0500, Eric Mader wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's happening on this project these days? I think the goal is very
> worthwhile, and I'd like to proceed with the design and
> implementation.
>
> Regards,
> Eric Mader

I'm trying to find some more time to finish the OpenType Layout engine
rewrite that I started.  That one will not be depending on FreeType.
With that done I'll proceed to the shaper part..

While I have your attention Eric, am I reinventing ICU's OpenType Layout
engine?  I mean, does ICU have one already that uses mmapped files?

I think what we can most use your expertise with is the Indic shaper.
It's got out of my control in Pango, and most of the patches committed
to it recently are all wrong and introduce lots of other bugs I believe.
We need someone to go over Pango's bugs, ICU's, and Qt's and merge them
back together.  This needs to be done anyway for the HarfBuzz shaper.
The rest of the shapers should be good enough in Pango.  So, if you can
tackle the Indic one, that would be really helpful.

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759