[HarfBuzz] Who is integrating Pango's shapers into HarfBuzz?

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:51:59 PDT 2007

Hi, LingNing,

My understanding is that Simon Hausmann of QT has already integrated
the shapers from QT into HarfBuzz.

I thought that there was some consensus that perhaps the QT Indic
shapers were a bit more mature than those in Pango or something like
that.  I think you'll need to ask Simon and Behdad about the decision
making process, and they should be able to tell you more precisely
where things currently stand.

If shapers based on QT are already present, why would Pango shapers
need to be ported ? -- unless certain script shapers are still missing
?

I am personally quite curious to know which script shapers are still
missing in HarfBuzz?  For example, what about:

        (1) Myanmar (Burmese)?
        (2) Traditional Mongolian?
        (3) Plans for various minority scripts? ( For example, Hosken
& Everson's proposal for Lanna (a script used in Northern Thailand and
surrounding regions) was approved earlier this year.  The encoding
method has some similarities to Unicode Khmer.
http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3207.pdf )

- Ed Trager