[HarfBuzz] Using HarfBuzz to get final glyphs

Steve Mills smills at multi-ad.com
Wed Mar 19 05:58:44 PDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 03:52:14, Pierre Marchand wrote:

> If you want to quickly start, you
> might want to look into harfbuzz-gsub.h in Harfbuzz source where
> you’ll find
> quite self-explanatory prototypes, considering you’re familiar with
> OTF
> (else, you can’t save a tour at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/)
> .
> From my point of view, GPOS corresponding functions are not so easy
> because
> they require that you setup a HB_Font (but at some point you have to
> manage
> it in order to get at least "kern" feature).

Thanks for the pointer. Too bad there's no real documentation that I
can find.

> If you’re looking for an actual internationalization solution,

Not at this point.

> Note: Reading your message again, I see that I missed the point. HB
> does not
> manage glyphs (nor in vector nor in bitmap) itself but rather glyph
> It’s up to the caller to pick up the corresponding shapes in the
> fontfile
> (generally with the help of Freetype).

I probably didn't explain it well enough, but yes, as long as HarfBuzz
can do glyph *index* replacement, that's fine. I used the term "glyph"
generically to mean glyph index, not the actual outline path. We
already have code that loads the paths.

Steve Mills                              Me: 952-401-6255
Senior Software Architect                         MultiAd
smills at multiad.com                       www.multi-ad.com