[HarfBuzz] Using HarfBuzz to get final glyphs

Steve Mills smills at multi-ad.com
Fri Mar 21 09:17:01 PDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 05:53:10, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> And for people demanding that us more clearly say on the wiki page
> that
> it's not for them, I couldn't put it any more clear there: "There
> are no
> releases available for download yet, and currently there are no
> releases
> scheduled, as the main audience of the code is developers of text
> rendering engines and currently the recommended way to use the code is
> to copy it into your project."

I wasn't demanding, just suggesting. But I forgot about the above
statement on the web site. Still, I'm a developer, I'm attempting to
fix an existing text rendering engine, and I have no problem with
having to add the source directly into our own projects. Still, this
doesn't mean I can figure out how to use it. I realize HarfBuzz is not
"done" yet. What I would suggest is that commenting/documentation is
done as the product is developed. This prevents the author from
forgetting what a particular function does, or why there are certain
enums, etc. It also helps developers that are unfamiliar with the
project but want to work with it understand how it works. It's the way
we work; add a class, function, constant, etc? Then it better have a
comment that explains it.

All I'm hoping to find is an easy-to-use library that can do the magic
OpenType stuff with minimal fuss and no banging of my head on the desk.

> Or is reading licenses not cool anymore?

Was it ever? I've never heard of anyone actually reading a license.

> The part about someone asking us to do Apple Events because he doesn't
> know how to do it was so outrageous.

You obviously didn't read that part correctly. Why would I ask the
developers of a cross-platform text/font engine to do Apple Events?
You must've been very tired when you read that, because you completely
misunderstood what I said.

Steve Mills                              Me: 952-401-6255
Senior Software Architect                         MultiAd
smills at multiad.com                       www.multi-ad.com