[HarfBuzz] Language Modularization?

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan thep at linux.thai.net
Thu Nov 6 06:49:26 PST 2008

Hi,

Some of my KDE friends are working on Thai support in Harfbuzz.
However, you may know that it's quite expensive to get proper
Thai word break support. It requires loading libthai and a whole
dictionary data into memory.

With Pango modularization, this is mitigated for non-Thai users by
means of dynamic plug-ins. It's never loaded as long as no Thai
text is processed.

But for current Harfbuzz, this mitigation is achieved by dlopen-ing
libthai.so.0, which may or may not be available in the system.
It's kind of loose dependency which can easily be missed by
automatic packaging systems like shlibs tracking.

So, I wonder which direction Harfbuzz would go. Is dynamic
module in the plan?

Thanks,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan