[HarfBuzz] Language Modularization?

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan thep at linux.thai.net
Thu Nov 6 19:34:44 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> What I was trying to get to is that everywhere that one currently uses
> libthai, they should switch to using HarfBuzz.  What are usecases that
> switching is infeasible?

The most complicated part would be word breaking. If Harfbuzz
does not handle word breaking at all, all are a lot easier.

Word breaking issues, if it's still relevant, would be:

- There are many approaches to the problem, with different
  levels of accuracy, from primitive rule base to dictionary-based
  and statistical syntactic analysis. Preparation for engine switching
  is a good plan.

- The language resource is dynamic, as new words constantly
  occur. Updating is supposed to be relatively often.

--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/