[HarfBuzz] Language Modularization?

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 20:24:59 PST 2008

Hi, Thep,

> For Lao, as it's very close to Thai, and with my knowledge on the
> language, wrapping lines at syllable boundaries should not be
> acceptable for me as a Thai reader. However, as Lao writing
> system has been reformed based on phonetics, I can't assume
> that from Thai's point of view.
>
> In a sample book for Lao students I have, titled "ຊອບໃຈທີ່ຫລຽວເບິ່ງ"
> (Thanks for glancing), lines appear to be wrapped at syllable
> boundaries, rather than word boundaries. (For example, "ເອກະ|ລັກ",
> "ສືບ|ທອດ", "ອະທິ|ບາຍ", "ປະຊາ|ຊົນ", "ປະດິດສະ|ຖານ", etc. where "|" is
> the wrapping position. This can be seen all over the book.)

Those line breaks are surprising to me too.  I just looked at the
University of Michigan library catalogue (because I am in Ann Arbor)
and it looks like the library has some Lao books.  I will see if I
have time to go over there and take a look and see what the rules are.
 Maybe there is a difference between older books and newer books?

-- Ed Trager