[HarfBuzz] New Indic standard?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Aug 18 13:19:58 PDT 2009

Hi,

On 08/18/2009 06:27 AM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> <quote>Well, parts of it, specially the Indic parts, are not documented.
>    Worse, with Windows Vista, the Indic parts of the standard changed
> completely.  We don't have any free software implementation of the new
> Indic OpenType standard.</quote>
>
> Where can I get a copy of this standard (new *and* old) and what is the

Both are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/SpecificationsOverview.mspx

The new ones are marked "(latest)" while the old ones are marked "(deprecated)".

> status of Indic scripts' support in Harfbuzz with this new standard?
> What is the status w.r.t the old standard?

I don't know any Free Software implementation of the new standard.  The old
standard is implemented in HarfBuzz, though many bugs exist.  A test suite is
needed before we can start fixing the bugs.

behdad