[HarfBuzz] New Indic standard?

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 09:38:38 PDT 2009

> What does such a test suite involve? In the past, we have prepared
> a list of base characters, plus allowed conjuncts (along with
> example words) for some Indic languages in ICU. Along with these,
> we have prepared screenshots of the expected rendering, which can
> be compared to Harfbuzz rendering. Does that suffice?

Is the pre-existing list of base characters plus allowed conjucts that
you prepared for ICU testing comprehensive?

If not comprehensive, can you provide a ballpark percentage of how
much has been covered or not?

Does it cover ALL the "major" languages commonly written using one of
the Indic scripts, or just some of them?

Are there annotations indicating, for example, conjuncts that are
specifically allowed for some languages (say, perhaps classical
Sanskrit) but not allowed or deprecated or considered old-fashioned
etc. for some other languages (say, Modern Hindi)?

Ideally we need to know more details about what you or anyone else has
available before the question of "sufficiency" can be settled ...

Where is the URL for the ICU test suite that you mention?  I would
like to look at that, as I am sure others would too.  Having a test
suite that is publically available would be a great first step.
Setting up such a resource so that people could contribute / edit /
add additional test cases would be a great next step.

Best Wishes -- Ed Trager