[HarfBuzz] Indic support in Harfbuzz

kevin & siji kevinsiji at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 08:26:20 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> On 12/13/2009 11:03 PM, Parag Nemade wrote:
> > Hi Behdad,

> for testing the rendering of Indic scripts?
> >> Not easily, I think. A little while ago, I started work on Indic support
> (initially concentrating on the "new" Devanagari standard as used in
> Vista/Windows7), but AFAIK I don't think Behdad has committed any of that
> code to the repository yet. At that time, there were still some changes
> happening in the internal shaper/features APIs. I've been busy in other
> areas for the past few weeks, so have not been pressing to get this
> integrated.
> >>

> >         Can you check if Jonathan's code can still be integrated in
> harfbuzz?
>
> It's not.  Will get to it this week.

Is it worth reinventing the wheel? Is it not possible to use the code from
ICU or Pango? Already a bunch of complex script rendering engines (ICU,
Pango, Uniscribe) has made the Indic rendering scene a mess. Currently fonts
should have separate ligature rules according to different rendering engine
behaviours to create a single expected result universally.
--
Kevin Siji