[HarfBuzz] Question about HarfBuzz-ng OpenType Implementation

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Sep 14 12:29:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 02:32:39PM -0400, Ed wrote:
> >   <<< excerpt of email from Vernon Adams: >>>
> >
> > Your gpos lookups in OpenType fonts (.ot) do not work in all
> > applications. E.g. Scribus, OpenOffice dont work. I'm guessing this
> > maybe same with Inkscape. However a TrueType font with opentype lookups
> > does work, at least in Scribus, OpenOffice and Firefox (the 3 apps i
> > have tested).
> >
> > So basically, use opentype flavoured Truetypes instead of pure
> > OpenTypes.

This looks a dubious statement to me, Scribus does not support any
OpenType feature of any kind, OpenOffice prior to 3.2 does not load CFF
flavoured fonts, this has nothing to do with features in the font.
GTK+/Qt apps (AFAIK) treat both format flavours the same way, so does
Windows (you might get different rendering quality, but that is a
different issue).

However I do agree that a mechanism to enable non-default font features
is really needed, and harfbuzz-ng seems to have such support already (as
demonstrated by Firefox).

Regards,
 Khaled

--