[HarfBuzz] Question about HarfBuzz-ng CTL Shaper Status

Ed ed.trager at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 05:28:52 PDT 2010

Thanks, Keith, for your very informative email!

I myself am quite tempted to just use a bunch of ligatures for glyph
reordering -- at least in this first round of the implementation.  It
seems easy enough, and I can get very precise positioning of the
reference glyphs through a visual interface in FontForge.

Also, although I have been trying to figure out context-specific
substitutions, I have yet to actually get anything that works.  While
in principle it makes sense, in practice it is a bit of a mystery to
me.

One other approach to glyph reordering that I have found does work is
kerning.  But this only works when the reordering is limited to
swapping the position of a single pair of glyphs.  If you give the
first glyph a large delta-x and the second glyph an equivalently large
negative delta-x, then they appear swapped.  But I am a bit hesitant
to use this approach ; using a ligature seems a bit safer.  What I
really should do is check what differences there are in file size when
using ligatures (composed only of references to other existing glyphs)
vs. the swap-by-kerning approach.  Of course swap-by-kerning doesn't
work in all cases, but may still be a valid option for the subset of
cases where only pairs of glyphs need to be swapped.

Best - Ed