[HarfBuzz] NOW: Shaper for SEA Scripts --- WAS: Funky harfbuzz compile error

Ed ed.trager at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 05:50:51 PDT 2011

Hi, Behdad,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> On 04/26/11 17:46, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
>>         -  inline void set (int v) { return hb_atomic_int_set (ref_count, v); }
>>         +  inline void set (int v) { hb_atomic_int_set (ref_count, v); }
>
> Ah, I'm really sorry about that.  Fixed.  I'm yet to find a gcc option to warn
> about this error I keep making via copy/pasted code.

No worries!

Now that everything is working fine, I am going to start taking a look
at writing shaper
code to handle Tai Tham and related Southeast Asian scripts (New Tai
Lue, Tai Viet, and Myanmar; eventually probably also adding
Cambodian).

I plan to use Johnathan Kew's demonstration New Tai Lue shaper from
March as a starting point.

Johnathan's demo code does not use table lookup to classify code
points in New Tai Lue because it was only demo code.

However I agree with Johnathan's assessment that "real" code should
use table lookup to categorize code points that are involved in
reordering operations: prefixed dependent vowel signs, medial RA,
consonants, etc.  Using script-specific tables, in theory a single
shaper should be able to handle the reordering of prefixed dependent
vowels and medial RA (when present in script) for Tai Tham, New Tai
Lue, Tai Viet, and Myanmar. (I still hesitate to throw Cambodian in
there, as my understanding of certain aspects of Khmer script remains
fuzzy at best).

Behdad: If you have any guidelines or strong feelings about how this
proposed shaper ought to look, please let me know.
Anyone else with strong ideas about this area also please feel free to
voice your opinion and let me know what you think.
I want to make sure to start out on the right foot with a code base
that has a high chance of being accepted into HarfBuzz without too
much unecessary revision.

Best - Ed