[HarfBuzz] (noob?) Building HB

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Aug 2 06:14:48 PDT 2011

Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> 2011/8/2 suzuki toshiya <mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp>:
>> Could you check whether pkg-config
>> is installed?
>
> Wow that did the trick! (Is there some Wikipage that lists all these
> packages that are prerequisites for compilation and it is only me that
> have not found it despite searching for "building harfbuzz"?)

Now I think autogen.sh should check pkg-config availability,
to prevent autoreconf-and-strange-error trouble.  Update of
wiki is also expected...

> So now it got configured and I did make and it compiled, but what do I
> do to test rendering? Pravin said to do ./hb-view but there is no such
> binary.

According to src/Makefile.am:

if HAVE_GLIB
if HAVE_FREETYPE
if HAVE_CAIRO_FT
if HAVE_CAIRO_PNG
hb_view_SOURCES = hb-view.cc
hb_view_CPPFLAGS = $(HBCFLAGS) $(CAIRO_FT_CFLAGS) $(CAIRO_PNG_CFLAGS)
hb_view_LDADD = libharfbuzz.la -lm $(HBLIBS) $(CAIRO_FT_LIBS) $(CAIRO_PNG_LIBS)
bin_PROGRAMS += hb-view
endif
endif
endif
endif

hb-view requires glib, freetype2, cairo (with freetype2 font backend
and PNG output surface).  hb-view will generate PNG picture for
specified font and string.

> The main and test binaries in the src directory take a TTF file as
> input which I gave but it only outputs some sort of debugging data.

Indeed.

> I want to have a window in which to input text and see how HB renders
> it -- how do I do that? Should I then recompile gedit or something
> against HB? (Ouch if yes.)

To test the features for editor (cursor moving, delete/insertion, etc),
some GTK+ application is required.  To check the rendering result only,
pango-view might be the nearest one, but, it is something like a combination
of PNG file generator and picture viewer.

Regards,
mpsuzuki