[HarfBuzz] Wich version works?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Dec 14 13:47:14 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:46:42PM +0100, Alfabety wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm playing around hb-view for a while.
> In harfbuzz v.0.6 I have no problems with setting "salt" feature.
> I updated to:
> hb-view (harfbuzz) 0.7.0
> Available shapers: ot,fallback
> by git://anongit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz.
> But now --help--features=TODO and I have no idea - did 'calt', 'liga' don't work anymore? Or I don't know how to set them.

I've no problem here, I can turn on/off features. The syntax is
documented in the log message of commit fb9ca1b, copied below:

    The --features parsing handles errors now.  More importantly, it
    allos limiting individual features to specific byte ranges.  The
    format is Python-esque.  Here is how it all works:

      Syntax:       Value:    Start:    End:

    Setting value:
      "kern"        1         0         ∞         # Turn feature on
      "+kern"       1         0         ∞         # Turn feature off
      "-kern"       0         0         ∞         # Turn feature off
      "kern=0"      0         0         ∞         # Turn feature off
      "kern=1"      1         0         ∞         # Turn feature on
      "kern=2"      2         0         ∞         # Choose 2nd alternate

    Setting index:
      "kern[]"      1         0         ∞         # Turn feature on
      "kern[:]"     1         0         ∞         # Turn feature on
      "kern[5:]"    1         5         ∞         # Turn feature on, partial
      "kern[:5]"    1         0         5         # Turn feature on, partial
      "kern[3:5]"   1         3         5         # Turn feature on, range
      "kern[3]"     1         3         3+1       # Turn feature on, single char

    Mixing it all:

      "kern[3:5]=0" 1         3         5         # Turn feature off for range

May be this should be added to the help message somehow, it is very
helpful as is.

Regards,
 Khaled