[HarfBuzz] Arabic and diacritics: problems with Arial and Arial Unicode

Grigori Goronzy greg at chown.ath.cx
Tue Jul 12 15:18:47 PDT 2011

On 07/12/2011 12:14 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> It's a bug in HarfBuzz.  Jonathan has fixed that in Mozilla, but I haven't
> adopted the fix upstream yet.  It's a muddy area, there are many differently
> buggy fonts, and we need to work around them all.  I'll take a look tonight.

Here's the current version of the hack from Mozilla, adapted to work
with mainline HarfBuzz-ng, in case anyone is interested. They still use
an older version of HarfBuzz for some reason.

This might be hacky but it works well for me. Fixes Arial, Arial Unicode
MS and Times New Roman, but doesn't break other fonts like DejaVu Sans
Mono (this was reported on Mozilla Bugzilla, IIRC).

Best regards,
Grigori