[HarfBuzz] Quick show of hands needed

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Wed Jul 20 21:26:22 PDT 2011

Hi,

The available options are "always tried" or "never tried"?
I wish if it can be controlled by some environmental
variables, with specification of the charset.

I guess, there are many Japanese fonts without OpenType
composition for kana: U+3046 + U+3099 -> U+304C (furthermore,
they lack U+3099 glyph), but most people prefer to see
U+304C glyph instead of the combination of U+3046 and
U+3099 or some missing glyph.

But, the requirement of the substitution for CJK Compatibility
Ideographs is questionable. Some people prefer to see
missing glyph than substituted CJK Unified Ideographs,
to claim that their favorite shape is different.
I have to note that JIS X 0213 spec is not designed to
allow the substitution of JIS X 0213 compatible ideographs
to CJK Unified Ideographs. The system showing U+FA30-U+FA6A
(JIS X 0213:2000 compatible characters) by the glyphs for
corresponding CJK Unified Ideographs cannot conform JIS
X 0213. I don't want to insist Japanese requirement as
special, but I'm not sure about other regional standards.

Regards,
mpsuzuki