[HarfBuzz] Quick show of hands needed

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Jul 21 12:31:39 PDT 2011

On 07/21/11 15:27, Evan Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
>> I'm wondering: should harfbuzz try compatibility composition/decomposition
>> (NFKC/NFKD) if a font doesn't support a character?
>>
>> It's easy to do so, but I'm sure how desirable that is.
>
> In general, the less harfbuzz does, the better; makes it more
> pluggable into weird environments.

The current callback design makes it quite portable.  If a callback
implementation doesn't implement, say, decompose(), then NFD wouldn't work.
So that's not an issue.

> If it's not possible to do this outside of harfbuzz or if having
> harfbuzz do it somehow affects performance in an important way, then
> maybe I'd say it's a better idea.

What I can do is to leave it to the callback implementation to decide whether
to return canonical or compatibility decomposition.  For now I'm working with
1:2 decompositions which only support canonical.  Want to get this working
first...

Thanks for all the feedback.