[HarfBuzz] Indic Testing Team

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 01:07:48 PDT 2011

[Note: My "reply all" to Harshula's mail was sent to the moderator as
there were too many recipients. I request everyone to use "reply to
list". Anyone who is going to be involved in this matter but is not on
the list should be on the list, so there's no need to separately cc
them, right?]

On 2011-Jun-10 12:45, Harshula wrote:
> [Following on from Shriramana's suggestion, adding additional South
> Asian scripts from http://www.unicode.org/charts/]

Great! I was *just half an hour ago* thinking we should not ignore the
minority scripts.

I add myself to Brahmi and Kaithi -- no worries about overload since we
are not going to concentrate on these extinct scripts at the outset (I
presume?).

Bengali :
Brahmi : S Sharma
Devanagari: Pravin S, G Karunakar, Parag
Gujarati :
Gurumukhi (Punjabi) : A S Alam
Kaithi : S Sharma
Kannada : S Sharma
Kharoshthi :
Lepcha :
Limbu :
Malayalam : Santhosh Thottingal
Meetei Mayek :
Ol Chiki :
Oriya :
Saurashtra :
Sinhala : Harshula ( harshula at gmail.com)
Syloti Nagri :
Tamil : Mugunth (mugunth at gmail.com), S Sharma
Telugu : S Sharma
Thaana :
Vedic: S Sharma

Note on my involvements:

[I am not worrying about over-involvement since apart from my mother
tongue/script Tamil I can handle Kannada and Telugu reasonably easily
and other scripts I choose are minority and can be done one by one.]

Brahmi: Will collect information on this from epigraphist friends I
have. I am also in contact with the authors of the Brahmi Unicode proposal.

Kaithi: It's largely like Gujarati, and I can try to get more info from
Anshuman Pandey who proposed Kaithi for Unicode,
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n3389.pdf with whom I am in
intermittent contact.

Vedic: Mostly it will not be a problem as I am a Vedic scholar myself,
but for some of the rarer Vedic characters, I am in contact with one of
the principal authors of the Vedic Extensions proposal, Dr Peter Scharf
of Brown University of USA.

Other minority scripts, notably Sharada, Maithili and Modi, will be
added in the shortly to be added courtesy Anshuman Pandey's huge efforts
(http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pandey/) -- of which I am personally
interested in Sharada. Maithili (Tirhuta) is largely like Bengali but
with important differences. Modi is largely like Devanagari. After they
are added, I hope they can be handled like Kaithi above, with help from
Anshuman when needed.

--
Shriramana Sharma