[HarfBuzz] Indic expertise wanted

Harshula harshula at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:18:10 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 14:48 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 06/08/11 23:50, Harshula wrote:
> > Hi Behdad,
> >
> > For the sake of future maintainability would you please consider
> > splitting the Indic shaping module into at least 3 respective script
> > families? We really should avoid what happened with the Pango Indic
> > module where we had special cases everywhere for each of the script
> > families. IIRC, it got to the stage where no one knew what impact even
> > tiny changes would have on unrelated scripts.
>
> I know that problem very well, and am working on a solution to address it.
> Having more shapers doesn't really solve it though.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the solution. If you can avoid the
jumble of script specific special cases and exceptions breeding in the
monolithic Indic shaper, that would be great. Are you considering
sub-modules/shapers?

Shapers based on Indic script families *will* reduce the script specific
special cases and exceptions and address the problem I'm referring to.

cya,
#