[HarfBuzz] Unicode vs glyphs

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:32:25 PDT 2011

On 14-06-2011 20:59, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> All the mentioned scripts can have fonts with glyphs that are not
> assigned Unicode code points, you were lucky to not encounter them until
> now, but in the era of "smart fonts" it is becoming more and more
> common practice especially in high quality fonts.
>
> Regards,
>   Khaled

Khaled, if I am correct to presume (from your name) that you know Arabic
script, can you tell us whether you nowadays use the separately encoded
compatibility presentation forms or you use smart font technologies to
display those presentation forms? If I am not mistaken, Arabic has
different written forms for characters in initial, middle, final and
isolate positions (or am I thinking of Mongolian)?

--
Shriramana Sharma