[HarfBuzz] Indic expertise wanted

pravin.d.s at gmail.com pravin.d.s at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:09:37 PDT 2011

On 14 June 2011 08:11, Kenichi Handa <handa at m17n.org> wrote:

> In article <4DF6C38F.30403 at gmail.com>, Shriramana Sharma <
> samjnaa at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 14-06-2011 00:18, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > > I know that problem very well, and am working on a solution to address
> it.
> > > Having more shapers doesn't really solve it though.
>
> > Yeah, I was meaning to say this: Each Indic script has its own unique
> > characteristics and so even the classification of North Indic vs South
> > Indic wouldn't work.
>
> FYI, m17n-lib's approach is to have a layouting engine for
> each script.  In the case of m17n-lib, having many layouting
> engines has no problem.  Each engine is just 100 to 300
> lines of text file containing layouting rules.  We adopted
> this approach because we found that a slight difference of
> layouting rules results in rather complicated code when they
> are mixed in a signle engine.

Yeah, pango and even old harfbuzz code was problematic from fixing point of
view due to this problem and behdad as a upstream developer know this very
well :)

since this time we are starting from scratch, it will be better to make
individual engine and make them perfect. In this way we will know exceptions
of each language/script better. And then we will be in better position to
merge them back.

Advantage of having single engine for each script for now is we can
concurrently work on most of the language.

Behdad in pango we have used state table for identifying invalid syllable,
are you thinking same in harfbuzz. Let me know i can work on making state
table for script.
Dunno how can we make single state table for all script due to exception in
some language, like Bengali allow combination of Vowel U+0985 with matra
U+09BE. Need to check.

Regards,
Pravin S