[HarfBuzz] harfbuzz-ng: Branch 'master'

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue May 10 11:17:46 PDT 2011

On 05/08/11 02:56, Tom Hacohen wrote:

> If you ever mark monotonic (I guess direction is already known because
> of bidi direction - or are there any other cases for monotonic?) please
> also expose it. For the same reason I linear search and not binary
> search the clusters.

I'm hesitant to offer API for purely optimization purposes.

In this case, it's not even possible to offer a meaningful API since the user
is free to fetch the glyph array and manipulate it as they wish.  So, if there
is going to be an API, it has to recalculate the monotonicity result every
time you call it.  At which point, you may as well just do the check yourself.

> If "in-run" reordering is only possible in a given number of scripts, we
> can quite easily mark if it's monotonic or not (or more correctly give a
> good enough approximation). We should mark everything as monotonic,
> expect for the few scripts who can be non-monotonic, which are, from my
> understanding, only the Indic scripts, but this could be for any
> reordering shaping engine. Is this correct?

For clusters to be useful they have to be monotonic.  I think we have bugs in
that right now, but they're bugs that should be fixed.

behdad