[HarfBuzz] A problem in thai shaper

Bobby de Vos devos.bobby at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:48:41 PDT 2012

Greetings,

On 12-04-17 04:47 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> I don't know about Thai, but the handling of "invalid" Arabic combining
>> > marks in Uniscribe is completely brain dead and a real PITA and I'd
>> > really like not to see HarfBuzz going there, a shaping engine is not a
>> > spell checker and should not enforce any input pattern.
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OpenType%20Dev/arabic/shaping.mspx#invalid
> Incidentally, I came across this Typophile post, which is one example of
> why this "invalid" mark handling is not really a good idea:
> http://typophile.com/node/92130

I encountered a similar issue in Bengali script. In a minority language,
someone needed to have U+0985 BENGALI LETTER A and U+09D7 BENGALI AU
LENGTH MARK in sequence. XeTeX (with ICU rendering I believe) had a
dotted circle in the output between these two characters. Later versions
of Uniscribe did not produce the dotted circle.

I would hope that HarfBuzz would also not display a dotted circle in
this case.

Cheers,
Bobby

--