[HarfBuzz] Malayalam [was: Lemongrass HarfBuzz Hackfest, end of day 4]

Rajeesh K Nambiar rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:56:37 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> On 07/23/2012 12:21 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>> Another issue to check is the handling of a sequence with vowel-matra followed
>> by virama, such as <U+0D38,0D41,0D4D>. I notice that we differ from Core Text
>> on this one (using the Lohit Malayalam font) - our shaper appears to use a
>> ligature of the u-matra and virama, whereas Core Text doesn't ligate them. I
>> haven't tried Uniscribe yet to see what it gives.
>
> Looks like Uniscribe agrees with CoreText.  I have to investigate.  It's
> perhaps one of those features that we apply globally...

Hello Behdad/Jonathan,

Finally managed to get a Uniscribe rendering to test 'RA' and sub-base
'LA'. Meera and Rachana fonts render similarly using harfbuzz and
Uniscribe, but AnjaliNewLipi differs.
With AnjaliNewLipi, Uniscribe renders all the 'RA' cases (example
'സ്പ്രി') and the sub-base 'LA' (example 'സ്പ്ലേ') correctly. Please
find the latest test results here:
http://silpa.org.in/pub/tests/hb/ml/hbview_test_results-2012-08-07/hbview_test_results.html
Uniscribe rendering for comparison:
https://plus.google.com/photos/107112618359517885031/albums/5715335156218724177/5773631587098795778

AnjaliNewLipi could be downloaded from here:
https://sites.google.com/site/cibu/anjalioldlipi-font/AnjaliNewLipi.ttf?attredirects=0&d=1

Thanks!

--
Cheers,