[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz and Skia

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Aug 23 08:43:58 PDT 2012

Hi Jarek,

On 08/22/2012 12:40 PM, Jarek M wrote:

> So, I am wondering where is the problem. I understand fribidi is used to perform text preprocessing (with a bidirectional algorithm). Does fribidi take care of spacing?  Harfbuzz is an entire font shaping stack. Doest it take care of bidirectional text?

Fribidi itself doesn't doesn't do glyph positioning, but supposedly your
non-complex text rendering code path does that.

HarfBuzz doesn't do bidi.  You need both for a full text rendering system (or
another bidi implementation).

> What would You recommend to use in case described? Fribidi + simply writing the buffer using TextRun and somehow figuring out why is the sentence not properly aligned or skip fribidi and use harfbuzz + skia? In that case, do I need additional tools to use harfbuzz and skia together on QNX ?  (freefont etc). I managed to compile harfbuzz to run on QNX however, I am not sure if I need to use it in a first place. Well, if You have some suggestions appreciated. I'm getting familiar with the webkit source, I see already that the version I'm using is quite different, plenty of rewritten code.

This is really out of my area of expertise.  I suggest you start bringing up
one of the Webkit ports that uses HarfBuzz already.  Other than that, I'm
afraid you are on your own.

behdad