[HarfBuzz] Conflict type declaration with Win32/64 API (SHORT, USHORT, ...)

Petr Kobalíček kobalicek.petr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 09:53:58 PST 2012

Hi Behdad,

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 11:43 AM, Petr Kobalíček wrote:
>> Another solution can be to maintain my private version of patched
>> harfbuzz, but personally I don't like this idea.
>
> People have successfully compiled HarfBuzz on Windows, and I regularly do so
> using mingw32.  The issue you are facing may be as simple as reordering a
> couple includes to fix.

Yeah, it's include files problem, but I only wanted to show that I had
this issue and maybe others in the future will encounter the issue
too. This problem can be definitely fixed by choosing different names
for these symbols. If I see LONG, SHORT, and similar symbols in the
code I always think that the code is written for Windows and is using
conventions designed for this platform. If there is no will from
harfbuzz side then okay.

>> There are also many warnings related to implicit size_t -> int casts
>> (64-bit mode), but these are simple to fix.
>
> Patch please.

Give me some time to fix this. The error is mainly related to
constructs like (unsigned int)(ptr_a - ptr_b). It's not reported by
gcc, but reported my msc.

> behdad

Thanks
Petr