[HarfBuzz] List of languages supported by harfbuzz

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Wed Jul 4 12:08:58 PDT 2012

On 12-07-04 11:15, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Samiullah Khawaja
> <sami.khawaja at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a list of languages supported by harfbuzz? Or it supports all the
>> languages that are supported by the font in use?
> HB doesn't support "languages". It supports "scripts".
It also supports "languages" -- the OpenType component supports both the
script tags and the language tags:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/scripttags.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/languagetags.htm

For script and language tags, HarfBuzz uses the ISO tags and then
converts them into OpenType tags internally:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-common.h
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-common.cc
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-ot-tag.h
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-ot-tag.cc

In OpenType, each character is categorized into a script, and then it is
being processed using the "default-language" routine for a script. But
it's also possible to specify a specific language to go along with the
script (for example "arab/URD" means Arabic script, Urdu language), and
the font can provide alternative processing for such language which is
different from the default behavior for a given script.

Regards,
Adam

--

May success attend your efforts,