[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz on Windows

Grigori Goronzy greg at chown.ath.cx
Wed Jul 25 13:58:10 PDT 2012

On 07/25/2012 09:31 AM, Samiullah Khawaja wrote:
> Hi Behdad,
>
> I want to build harfbuzz for windows... What replacement of unicode
> functions should I use? Is there any native support in windows that I
> can use to provide the unicode functions.

ICU is (more or less) the recommended choice. However, I actually had
less trouble getting glib to work on Windows, but that might be fault of
mingw.

Unfortunately both ICU and glib are huge frameworks with their own set
of dependencies. A stripped-down standalone library that provides a
unicode character database and nothing more would be great to have.

I implemented HarfBuzz support in libass, but projects like Aegisub or
VLC still ship without HarfBuzz on Windows because the ICU/glib
requirement is such a pain. :(

Best regards
Grigori