[HarfBuzz] harfbuzz bootstrapping problems

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Jun 16 14:59:21 PDT 2012

On 06/14/2012 04:57 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>>   /usr/local/bin/autoconf --force
>>>   configure.ac:32: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
>>>     If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>>>     See the Autoconf documentation.
>>>   configure.ac:56: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_HEADERS
>>>   configure.ac:125: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_CHECKING
>>>   configure.ac:128: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_TRY_LINK
>>>   configure.ac:130: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_RESULT
>>>   autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
>
> I've found the problem: I've manually installed the most recent
> versions of autoconf, automake, and libtool in /usr/local, while
> pgk-config was still in /usr.  Consequently, pkg.m4 wasn't found.  I
> find it very unfortunate that the above error messages are so
> misleading.

I see.  Yes, very unfortunate indeed.

> My suggestion is to change the behaviour of autogen.sh: Don't call
> `configure' directly, but use $@ to pass arguments to autoreconf.  In
> case this gets implemented, the call
>
>   ./autogen.sh -I /usr/share/aclocal
>
> would solve my issue.  Another reason for such a change is the fact
> that there isn't an environment variable which corresponds to
> autoreconf's `-I' option.

I'm a bit reluctant to change autogen.sh in that way.  autogen.sh has a
defined behavior which is to call configure with "$@".  Tools like jhbuild
rely on that.

That said, 1) our autogen.sh is really just a vanilla wrapper around
autoreconf, so you can call it directly instead, and 2) I've had good luck
using ACLOCAL_FLAGS most of the time.  Not sure if it works in this case.

Cheers,
behdad