[HarfBuzz] Renaming the shapers?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 04:24:03 PST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Harshula <harshula at gmail.com> wrote:
> syllabic ...

Not a bad idea at all. I support syllabic.

But clarify -- isn't Arabic etc syllabic? I heard even sometimes
Arabic uses diacritics on consonants to indicate vowels a la abugidas.

Perhaps southasian might be OK as I think the scripts under question
here are the same as those Unicode classifies under "South Asian" and
"South East Asian" at http://www.unicode.org/charts/. South East Asian
could be subsumed under South Asian, I think that should not be a
problem.

Just "asian" would include Han etc too which I guess is not right. So
"asiansyllabic" would exclude the ideographic/logographic scripts and
restrict to the abugidas.

Either "asiansyllabic", or "syllabic" if Arabic is not considered
syllabic, would do.

BTW where does Hebrew go in? And where would Kharoshthi (an RTL
abugida, extinct for quite some time but potential to include in the
distant future) go in?

--
Shriramana Sharma