[HarfBuzz] Can't install harfbuzz (web server)

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed May 16 08:24:23 PDT 2012

On 05/16/2012 11:14 AM, Rolf Langenhuijzen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get Harfbuzz (from git
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/) running along with cairo, freetype
> and glib on a web server (php).
> My hosting partner created a fresh vps setup and cairo, freetype etc. are
> all installed, but they have problems installing the complete Harfbuzz
> with the hb-view utils. It seems there are compile errors.
> They wondered if it can not be installed on Centos 5? (see error list
> below this message!)

Just compile locally on your machine, then do a "make dist", take the tarball
and compile it on the server.  That obviates the need for bootstrapping tools
(autoconf, etc).

> :( I've been trying to get this up for ages and fail all the time.
> So a second question: does anyone know a hosting company and someone to
> configure it properly? I need (want) to use the hb-view tool to output
> images through a web interface.

My brother has helped numerous people setup exactly that.  Feel free to send
me a message offlist and I'll introduce you to him.

behdad