[HarfBuzz] Tai Tham / Lanna (iso15924="lana") shaping question

Martin Hosken mhosken at gmail.com
Wed May 23 21:59:25 PDT 2012

Dear Behdad,

> Good to know.  I'll give HB a run on my Myanmar corpus and see if I can fix a
> few high-impact issues.

I would commend UTN#11 as worth reading at least the first half, on this. It'll give you a good feel for what's involved.

In the case of Tai Tham, we took the Myanmar model as the basis and built on it. Tai Tham writing systems have the extra fun that you can subjoin a final and even the start of another word. So you can get fun things like:

U+1A3B U+1A66 U+1A76 U+1A60 U+1A36 U+1A6C U+1A26 = p + ii + tone2 + sakot + n + o + ng

and this common spelling:

U+1A20 U+1A63 U+1A60 U+1A36 : k + aa + sakot + n

Of course you can also mix prevowels and medials into this mix:

U+1A4B U+1A6B U+1A36 U+1A60 U+1A32 U+1A55 U+1A63 U+1A60 U+1A3F : ?a + vowel + n + sakot + t + medial ra + aa + sakot + y

Tai Tham is just plain fun :)

Yours,
Martin